Avenida Arriaga (South);
Rua Ivens (North)
Sé – Funchal
Área: 8.300 m2
Altitude: 20 m
Contacts: Tel.: 291 231 501 | Fax: 291 231 502
The Municipal Garden, formerly known as Dona Amelia Garden in memory of Her Majesty, wife of D. Carlos, is located between Avenida Arriaga (south) and Rua Ivens (north) and has an area of 8.300 m2.
For several years, this area belonged to São Francisco Convent (Saint Francis), having been kept, in a grove, a marble coat of arms of the 17th century, of the Franciscans Order.
Its construction begun in August 1880 and the first plants being introduced came from Paris and Oporto.
Nowadays it helds a huge variety of plants worldwide, such as the “sausage tree” (Kigelia Africana) from Africa, the garcinia or mangosteen (Garcinia xanthochymus) from India ,Bangladesh and Malaysia, the Frangie-pany (Plumeria rubra var. acutifolia) from Mexico and the pândano (Pandanus utilis) from Madagascar. The endemic plants of Madeira are also there, such as 2 barbusanos, belongs to the laurel tree family (Apollonias barbujana, 2 dragon trees (Dracaena draco ssp. draco), 1 pau-branco - white tree trunk (Picconia excelsa) and 4 tis (Ocotea foetens).
In 21 August 1992, the auditorium/amphitheatre was open and still nowadays this is where it’s held many playful and cultural activities throughout the year.
It is also possible to find a terrace café, a kiosk and a small lagoon crowded by swans and ducks, with water springs. There is still a marble fountain, work of Antonio Maria Ribeiro, commonly known as Meninos