Between the finals of the 15th century and the 16th century, the wealthy classes left the heart of Funchal and migrated towards the slopes of the city, along the Ribeira Grande, also called Ribeira São Francisco. Over there they started the building of the houses of the families of the donee captains of Funchal, where the 2nd captain settle his residence (Arrifes) and erected a cross and a convent for his daughters, evoking Santa Clara.
The importance of the resident people was so high that the need of creating another parish was immediately felt, which would be authorized in 20 July 1566, by the Cardinal D. Henrique. However the dean of the Cathedral did not wanted share Funchal area, which had previously happened with Santa Maria Maior parish. Later on 3 March 1579, the parish would be extinct. Nonetheless in 1587 the sharing ended up by happening, due to the rise up of São Roque and São Martinho rural parishes.
Thus, following the issuance of permits of 14 August 1587, the parish of São Pedro was reinstalled, initially based in the old chapel of São Pedro and São Paulo, founded by João Gonçalves Zarco along the riverside. Afterwards the building of a new church was initiated, but this time in a higher zone, under the direction of the royal master-builder Mateus Fernandes.
Once the new church was finished, the old chapel came to honor St. Paul and soon, São Pedro became the most populated parish of them all, and headquarters of the bourgeoisie, occupying the entire upper part of the former parish of the Cathedral, up to Ribeiro Seco, and even the west part of Rua da Carreira.
Population: 5.158 Inhabitants/Km2
Surrounding areas: São Martinho, Santo Antonio, São Roque, Imaculado Coração Maria, Santa Luzia and Sé